Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Terry Collins Q&A on David Wright

Terry Collins talked to Matthew Cerone.

Question: Is 150 strike outs too much for Wright?
Terry Collins: Not if you’re gonna be a run producer. I mean, we ask him to produce runs. So, he had to be aggressive at the plate. I’ve told him, I just want him to be David Wright. I want him to be a good hitter. I know one thing, with our new hitting coach, who I think is gonna do a great job, I think he’ll be a little more selective at the plate, because of our philosophy, and so he’ll get more pitches to hit and I think he’ll do damage with those pitches.

Question: Do you think David stressed a bit, having had to carry the team a lot over the last couple of years?
Terry Collins: Well, I think that is what he was asked to do. And he’s the kind of player who just accepts it. He says, ‘Tell me what you want, and I’ll go do the best I can to do it.’ I assume if you told David Wright that we need more home runs out of you, he’s gonna swing for the fences.

No comments:

Post a Comment