Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mejia pissed for a reason: Give him a chance

Give the guy a chance. He had a 4.62 ERA with 22 strikeouts in 2010.
On the heels of our piece on the debate about how the Mets plan to use Jenrry Mejia comes word Mejia is not enthused about the prospect of being called up as a reliever later in the year.
Mejia says he will do whatever the organization wants, according to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record. "I don't know about that," Mejia said. "I want to be a starter. I liked it when I was starting in the big leagues last year. When I pitched in the Dominican [winter league] I was a starter. I come here now [to camp] as a starter. I want to be a starter. But I can't worry. It is what it is. It's the big leagues. I'd like to be a starter, but if they call me I have to be there. It's the big leagues."
Terry Collins plans to send Mejia to Buffalo to open the year as a starter, but allowed for the possibility he could help the Mets later in the year as a starting pitcher or in the bullpen.

No comments:

Post a Comment